Bonner Nazarene church celebrates 50 years
The Bonner Springs Church of the Nazarene will celebrate its 50th anniversary at 10 a.m. Sunday, June 12, at the church, 742 Nettleton Ave.
In attendance will be Mayor Clausie Smith, Jeren Rowell, district superintendent for the Church of the Nazarene, and five of the church’s previous pastors.
The church began in 1960 under the guidance of Rev. Alfred Swain and his wife Arlene and with the help of Evan and Ethel Dalaba. The first service held in 1960 had 18 people in attendance. In 1961, the district superintendent, formally organized the Church of the Nazarene in Bonner Springs, with 14 charter members. In 1980, the church built its present building, and it currently has more than 145 members.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: It’s showtime for theater festivals
- Baldwin City resident killed, another injured in motorcycle wreck in southern Leavenworth County
- Basehor-Linwood powerlifters win at West Franklin
- Basehor-Linwood wrestlers take sixth at state
- Basehor student qualifies for motocross championships