Memorial Day services set throughout the area
Bonner Springs will have its annual Memorial Day Service at 10 a.m. Monday, May 30, at the Soldiers Circle in the Bonner Springs Cemetery, located at Metropolitan and Sheidley.
Mayor Clausie Smith will be the master of ceremonies. The Olsen-McGraw-Thompson-Goins Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6401 will present the colors, a flag ceremony and perform a 21 Gun Salute. Larry and Brian Berg will play “Taps.” Alfred Ramirez will give the invocation and benediction. Bonner Springs City Council member Bob Reeves, who is also the council liaison for the Cemetery Advisory Committee, will make a presentation. Malisa and Joy Wallace will sing the national anthem and “God Bless America.” Council member George Cooper will read two patriotic poems.
Individuals who attend the ceremony may bring old flags that need to be retired and the city will ensure they are properly retired. After the Memorial Day service, a ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for the new cemetery maintenance building.
Donations to assist with cemetery improvements or for the purchase of replacement flags can be sent to the City Clerk’s Office, P.O. Box 38, Bonner Springs, KS, or brought to City Hall at 205 East Second St.
Edwardsville will have its annual Memorial Day Service at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 29, at the Edwardsville Cemetery. VFW Post 6401 will participate.
Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens and Chapel Hill-Butler Funeral Home will have its annual Veterans Appreciation Memorial Service at 11:30 a.m. Monday, May 30, outside the funeral home, 701 North 94th St., Kansas City, Kan., in partnership with American Legion Post 188.
The service will bring together veterans, patriots and others to honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. The celebration will feature the popular “Avenue of Flags,” which lines many of the roadways inside the memorial park. The event is free and open to the public. Call (913) 334-3366 for more information.
Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens and Chapel Hill-Butler Funeral Home will be open over the three-day weekend to assist families attending the Memorial Day service or locating gravesites of loved ones.
Catholic cemeteries serving Wyandotte and Johnson Counties will play host to Memorial Day Masses on Monday, May 30, at the following locations and times:
• Mt. Calvary Cemetery, 38th and State Avenue, Kansas City, Kan., 9 a.m.; celebrated by Rev. Mark Mertes; liturgical music by Ed Grisnik.
• Gate of Heaven Cemetery, 126th and Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, Kan., 10 a.m.; celebrated by Rev. John Riley.
• St. Joseph Cemetery, 61st Terrace and Quivira Road, Shawnee, 9 a.m.; celebrated by Rev. Scott Wallisch.
• Resurrection Cemetery, 83rd and Quivira Road, Lenexa; flag-raising at 8:30 a.m.; Mass at 9 a.m.; celebrated by Rev. Ken Kelly; liturgical music by Tom Jacobs.
• St. John Cemetery, Lenexa, 8 a.m. at Holy Trinity Church, 91st and Pflumm Road, Lenexa; celebrated by Rev. Tom Dolezal.
• Mt. Calvary Cemetery, 15825 S. 169 Highway, Olathe, 8 a.m.; celebrated by Rev. John Torrez.
For more information about the Memorial Day Masses, call (913) 371-4040, email email@example.com, or visit catholiccemeterieskc.org.