Remember when: Dec. 1
10 Years Ago (November 28, 2001)
The city of Bonner Springs launched its first website. City Manager Weldon Padgett was shown in a photo displaying the website.
The Edwardsville Community Center building was near completion. Doug Spangler, city administrator, said there were just a few finishing touches remaining.
Plans were set for the Bonner Springs’ Mayor’s Christmas Parade and tree lighting ceremony. The Chamber of Commerce also announced plans for the annual lighting contest.
Basehor Gold PRIDE was completing a cookbook featuring recipes from members. Nola Cooper was president of the group.
25 Years Ago (December 4, 1986)
Keith and Karen Roberts donated land adjacent to Kansas Highway 7 for the creation of a park in honor of their late son, Kerry Roberts, who died from injuries suffered in a baseball practice.
John Jeffrey Carson and Rebecca Berning were named to “Who’s Who Among Students In America.”
The annual Pinata-Posada celebration was planned by the Edwardsville Christian Church and the United Methodist Church.
Brenda DeGroot, Basehor girls’ coach, was the guest speaker at the booster club meeting.
50 Years Ago (November 30, 1986)
Fred Theden was honored for being a Chieftain subscriber for 65 years. He had been a subscriber since the newspaper started in 1896.
A total of 35 Basehor residents signed a petition urging the start of a water distribution system for the community.
Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Mueller opened a ceramic shop in Bonner Springs.
Whole fryers were on sale at Brewer’s for 29 cents per pound.
100 Years Ago (November 29, 1961)
Bonner Springs’ voters rejected a contract by a vote of 98 to 95 to lease the electric plant from the Barnes Company. The vote was forced by a citizens’ petition.
Miss Clara Laytham, a well-known area performer, presented a concert at the Christian Church.
Baker Furniture Store was quitting business.
Father Gevins conducted services for local Catholics. The congregation was seeking to buy a building for a permanent church.