BLHS educator named semifinalist in Kansas Teacher of the Year competition
A Basehor-Linwood High School teacher was named a semifinalist for the Kansas Teacher of the Year award this past weekend.
Michelle Vielhauer, a 12th-grade English teacher at BLHS, was one of 24 semifinalists named for the award: 12 secondary teachers and 12 elementary teachers. Across the state, 106 educators were nominated for the honor, which is sponsored by the Kansas State Department of Education.
Vielhauer was honored at a ceremony in Topeka, along with five other semifinalists from Region 2 of the contest, which covers the state's Second Congressional District.
The finalists named from the region, who will compete for the final award in November, were an elementary teacher from Wamego and a high school teacher from La Cygne.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Kansas City Chiefs exec to give leadership lecture at KU
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs pastor Cynthia Meyer
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants