10 Years Ago (Sept. 27, 2001)
The world-famous Budweiser Clydesdale team led a parade in downtown Bonner Springs. The parade was sponsored by Downtown Bonner, Inc.
Local firefighters and police raised $24,000 for victims of the New York City 9/11 tragedy.
Tom Cooley, Unified Government commissioner, was the speaker at the Edwardsville Kiwanis Club meeting.
Despite dreary weather, between 2,500 and 3,000 persons attended the Basehor Car Show.
25 Years Ago (Sept. 25, 1986)
Dr. Carlos Cooper was elected president of the Marion Vaughn Christmas Fund. Muriel Jared was secretary and Dr. Paul Burres was treasurer-director.
Ross Woolf, Ross’ Hair Styling, purchased the Uptown Beauty Salon on Oak Street.
Angie Rogers was elected president of the Bonner Springs High School sophomore class. Other officers were Steve Klise, vice president; Trista Menningen, secretary; and Chrissy Isabell, treasurer.
Basehor Kiwanis Club had a special meeting to honor the U. S. Army. In addition, the family of the late Dan Harless was presented a plaque for his service to the club.
50 Years Ago (Sept. 28, 1961)
Both Ed Roberts Chevrolet and Ernie Frey Ford announced showings for the new, 1962 models. Both dealerships were offering prizes and serving refreshments during the showings.
Mrs. Ben Simms and Mrs. Roscoe Brooks were heading a new cancer fund drive unit at First Baptist Church.
Jack Hemphill was elected president of the senior class at Linwood High School.
Wallace Wiehe was named chairman of a new rural water system planned to serve portions of Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties.
100 Years Ago (Sept. 28, 1911)
The Basehor High School football started practice for the season. No games were scheduled when school started.
The Bonner Springs Fair was a big success and the committee was meeting to pay final bills and begin planning for the 1912 fair.
Mabel Cicotte was the new seventh- and eighth-grade teacher at Bonner Springs. She was a graduate of Leavenworth High School.
More than 100 area engineers attended an open house at Bonner Springs Cement Plant. They were guests of Freeborn Construction, which had built the plant extension. After the tour, engineers were treated to a chicken dinner at Lake Forest.