Rural Tonganoxie home victim to Friday morning fire
A Friday morning fire caused substantial damage to a home southeast of Tonganoxie.
The fire occurred about 11 a.m. at 16690 182nd Street, Stranger Township Fire Chief Mark Billquist said. The fire chief said the renter of the property, Kevin Hood, was the only person at the house when the fire started but was not injured. Bill Theno owns the house, according to Leavenworth County Sheriff's office reports.
Westar Energy was called to the scene for a downed power line, which Billquist said might have been severed by the fire, but it still was under investigation. Billquist said Friday afternoon he was awaiting the state fire marshal to investigate the fire.
There also was a propane tank near the house — Billquist estimated it being about 50 feet from the home — but firefighters were able to protect the tank from the fire.
“It was close enough I was worried about it,” Billquist said.
Additional Leavenworth county fire departments from Fairmount, Sherman and Tonganoxie townships, as well as the city of Tonganoxie, assisted Stranger Township.
More like this story
- Man charged in Fort Riley bomb plot to appear in court
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Bill would prohibit public agencies and schools in Kansas from collecting union dues
- Employer sent to prison for hiring workers illegally in U.S.
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants