Truck overturns near Bonner Springs, killing up to 40 cattle
A truck full of cattle drove off an embankment of an interstate near Bonner Springs, Kan., and burst into flames, killing several cattle and closing one lane of the interstate.
The accident happened about 2:30 a.m. Thursday on westbound Interstate 70 near 110th Street in Bonner Springs.
Police say one lane of the interstate could be closed for most of the day as cleanup continues.
The driver of the truck has been hospitalized but the extent of his injuries was not immediately known.
About 30 to 40 cattle either died in the accident or had to be euthanized, while officials were rounding up several other cows.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social
- Tractor Daze event expected to be bigger, better
- Kansas City Connection: a place for good jazz, eats; Starlight lets it go