Archive for Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Remember When for Aug. 30, 2012

August 29, 2012

Events reported in The Chieftain this week 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

10 Years Ago – Aug. 29, 2002

The Edwardsville City Council approved a charter ordinance allowing liquor sales on Sunday.

The Mayor’s trophy given for the best float in the Tiblow Days parade was awarded to the Edwardsville Christian Church. The second place trophy went to the BPW.

The Basehor City Council approved the following appointments: William Pray, municipal court judge; Joe McAfee, city engineer and John Thompson, city attorney.

The Bonner Springs Garden Club met at the home of Muriel Jared. Doris Stith was co-hostess.

25 Years Ago – Aug. 27, 1987

Linda Haynes, Vicky Long and Jeanie Haney were judges for the Basehor Community Education pet show held at the Methodist Church.

Plans were completed for the annual Tiblow Days celebration. Don Wheeler was president of the Chamber of Commerce which sponsored the event. Bands performing included “Harrington Creek” and “The Graduates.”

Gov. Mike Hayden was the featured speaker at the Mayor’s Luncheon. Carol Courtney was chairperson of the event.

Returning letter winners for the Bonner Springs’ volleyball team were Courtney Bond and Stephanie Stean. Shirley Vaughn was the head coach.

50 Years Ago – Aug. 28-31, 1962

Elton Carter was the new co-owner of the Bonner Springs Chieftain. Bob Lauffer was co-owner and publisher.

Floyd Merritt was appointed as the new minister of the Bonner Springs Church of Christ.

Five Pounds of sugar was advertised for 17 cents at Sav-On. Stu’s Nationwide Food Market featured a pound of coffee for 49 cents. Thriftway advertised 25 pounds of potatoes for 77 cents.

The population of Basehor was 500 according to the recent census. The population in 1954 was 350.

100 Years Ago – Aug. 29, 1912

A neighborhood feud boiled over at a school meeting when two women got into a fist fight. Their husbands soon joined the fray and one pulled a knife. The marshal responded and restored order, but the meeting was closed.

A man was arrested in two burglaries while residents were attending the “mock battle” conducted b the U.S. Army. He was found taking a large suitcase to the railroad station. When the suitcase was opened, the stolen items were discovered. The man told the marshal he was innocent and was just taking the suitcase to the depot for a friend.

Plans were started for the fall festival. R. W. Ferguson was president of the committee.

A dinner room was added at Bonner Springs High School and the laboratory was being remodeled.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.