Senior transfer’s 21 points in debut leads Braves to 77-36 season-opening rout
Bonner Springs senior Austin Twombley scored 21 points to lead the Braves to a 77-36 rout of Heritage Christian Academy in the first-round of the 2012 Panther Invitational at Paola High.
Senior Jason VanMaren added 14 points, including two 3-pointers, and Jonah Freese scored nine points.
Junior Jordan Jackson scored eight points in the Braves’ first game of the season, and juniors Travis Dooley and Anthony Kubas each added six points. Senior Tyler Howell finished with four points.
Bonner Springs jumped out to a 21-11 lead after the first quarter, powered by nine points from Twombley, a transfer from Lawrence High. In the second quarter, a 3-pointer before the halftime buzzer capped off another 21 points by the Braves, by that point well on their way to giving coach Dan Streit a victory in his first game since becoming head coach.
Bonner Springs, the No. 2 seed in the tournament, will next meet the winner of Eudora-Bishop Ward at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday back in Paola.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- Authorities announce name of pedestrian killed in Bonner Springs accident
- Former nurse accused of sexual assaulting Kansas patients