BSHS’ Hobson, Blackwell lead Braves wrestlers to fourth at Husky Invitational
Two first-place finishes helped power the Bonner Springs wrestling team to a fourth-place finish at the Husky Invitational at Blue Valley Northwest this weekend.
Manhattan (266.5 points) earned first place, followed by Lawrence (192) and Newton (187) and Bonner Springs (114).
The 145- and 152-pound weight classes belonged to the Braves as junior Jonathan Blackwell and Mark Hobson respectively gave Bonner Springs its two first-place finishes Saturday.
Blackwell (25-2) handed Newton senior Miles Johns his second loss in the 145-pound final, earning a 5-3 decision.
Hobson (24-3) defeated Lawrence junior Andrew Denning (23-6) in the 152-pound final.
Four other Braves placed in the tournament.
• Sophomore Josiah Seaton (12-4) finished fifth, defeating UNA’s D.J. Ballard in the 106-pound weight class’ fifth-place match.
• Junior 113-pounder Justus Seaton (19-7) finished fourth after falling to Olathe East freshman Mike Kenny (20-2) in the third-place match.
• Senior Austin Cobb (14-7) defeated Blue Valley North junior Danny Widrig in the 126-pound fifth-place match.
• Senior Patrick Ballard (10-8) defeated Shawnee Mission South senior Brandon Jenkins to finish fifth at 160-pounds.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Face to Face: Moon Marble's Ben Breslow