Archive for Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Remember When for July 12, 2012

July 11, 2012

Events reported in The Chieftain this week from 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

10 Years Ago: July 11, 2002

Bob Purtee received the “Basehor Outstanding Citizen Award” during the Fourth of July celebration. Kathy Bontrager was president of the Chamber of Commerce.

John Ellison, Edwardsville chief of police, was the speaker at the Kiwanis Club meeting.

The Bonner Beautiful Commission’s efforts led to new sculptures being installed in downtown Bonner Springs.

Personalized bricks could be purchased as a donation to Centennial Park. Bricks were priced at $40 each.

25 Years Ago: July 9, 1987

Jim Schwartzman was appointed to fill a vacancy on the Bonner Springs City Council.

The Basehor-Linwood Board of Education appointed a committee to study consolidation of Basehor and Linwood High Schools. Members of the committee were Dick Espy, Vicki Hill, Deanna Osborne, Stuart Sweeney, Linwood; Jean Breuer, Al Srubas, Jack Oberndorfer and Tom McMorris, Basehor.

Alice and Craig Wright opened Granny’s Country Crafts in downtown Bonner Springs.

Entries were being sought for the amateur talent contest during Tiblow Days.

50 Years Ago: July 10-13, 1962

The Edwardsville City Council voted unanimously to allow residents to vote on allowing a package liquor store in the city.

The City of Bonner Springs approved plans for a new city hall. They expected to call for bids in August.

After a judge refused to halt the vote, Bonner Springs school patrons approved a consolidation plan by a vote of 479 in favor to 218 opposed.

Thirteen members of Basehor Boy Scout Troop 169 attended Camp Naish. Donald Grisham was Scoutmaster.

100 Years Ago: July 11, 1912

Little Hervey Jackson was helping his father when he was kicked in the head by a horse and knocked unconscious. He was treated by the doctor and there were no serious injuries.

Bonner Springs’ merchants announced a special promotion with one lucky shopper winning a piano.

Scheidt singled home the winning run as the Nationals defeated DeSoto, 4-3. The game was shortened to five innings so the DeSoto team could take the train home.

Ed Harvey’s team of horses bolted and ran, overturning the alfalfa cutting machine that the horses were pulling. Harvey’s son had gone for a drink of water when the team ran.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.