Archive for Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Basehor administrator outlines process for filling council positions in letter to residents

Basehor City Hall is at 2620 N. 155th St.

Basehor City Hall is at 2620 N. 155th St.

March 6, 2012

Editor's note: Interim Basehor City Administrator Lloyd Martley has released a letter to Basehor residents after the recalls of Mayor Terry Hill and City Council members Dennis Mertz and Iris Dysart, along with the resignation of member Fred Box. The city sent the note to residents today in an email message through its e-news system, and Martley said the city planned to send a letter to residents through the mail, as well.

Martley's message is below.

Dear Basehor resident:

As interim city administrator, I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify and explain the events which have taken place over the past couple weeks within the city of Basehor’s government. As some of you may be aware, on Tuesday, Feb. 28, Mayor Terry Hill, Council President Dennis Mertz and Council Member Iris Dysart were recalled in a special election. The recall took effect at 12 a.m. Tuesday.

At the City Council work session Monday, Council Member Fred Box resigned his position, which was accepted by the mayor and was effective immediately.

The result of these two events is that as of Tuesday, just two of the five City Council members remain in office, and the city has no mayor. However, the rumors that the state of Kansas will appoint a trustee to run the city of Basehor until a new mayor and council members are seated are unfounded. There is no state statute, city ordinance or local rule which requires such an action.

Instead, the two remaining council members will meet at the regularly scheduled City Council meeting on March 19. They will elect a City Council president among themselves, as per K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 15-310. The City Council president will become mayor as per K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 15-201, and the mayor will appoint the remaining open seats on the City Council in accordance with K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 15-201. A new City Council president will be elected by the full City Council. Business at the city will continue as usual.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact City Hall (724-1370).

Sincerely,

Lloyd Martley, interim city administrator

City of Basehor

Comments

guesswho66007 2 years, 1 month ago

There is now going to be a special meeting at Community Natl bank to bring in low income housing......Details to follow.

nomorelies0187Theoneman 2 years, 1 month ago

Do you really think anyone believes what you are saying?

guesswho66007 2 years, 1 month ago

Do you want to see a copy of the letter?

guesswho66007 2 years, 1 month ago

Just copy link info., paste, search and read. Please note, Garrison Development, and Mark Bruer are the same individuals involved the last time; probably the same proposal. Anyone interested should attend meeting.

johninbasehor 2 years, 1 month ago

The people that want this housing can have all the meetings they want, but the fact remains that the people of Basehor don't want this housing, and I am sure it will not happen.

guesswho66007 2 years, 1 month ago

Agree with you jgreen1515. I hope the citizens stay involved in important issues for the city.

basehordream 2 years, 1 month ago

wonder why breuerville needs an application process for city counsel -- haven't they already offered counsel seats to ed bush and richard drennon?

nomorelies0187Theoneman 2 years, 1 month ago

I sure hope they have. They would both make great coucil members! Your days of trying to run Basehor are over. You lost so give it up!

nomorelies0187Theoneman 2 years, 1 month ago

kbrown 2 years, 1 month ago

Just a thought--for the citizens that are not interested in submitting a resume, I think we should answer the questions and mail them back to City Hall.

Those questions serve as a great survey, which would be worthwhile citizen input and involvement!

Sorry for the good idea David, Travis, Cory, Lloyd: I know you already have a great work load but it's a pretty good step forward :) I say that in all sincerity as I ponder answers and realize I not sure I could keep my answers brief. So my answers multiplied by (guess?) 1000 responses would be added load.

Right off the bat, I'm not sure we are really in need of a Mayor position. Many towns govern successfully with City Manager(professional) and 5 City Council very effectively.

Our digital connectivity boom we have experienced these past 10 years, I firmly believe, has an added benefit of being more involved in the entire process (and a big headache for those elected members).

Which leads into an answer for Travis: Our growth really shouldn't be limited to structures/businesses, it should emphasize people. Get the folks on board to get connected/classes on how to use those tools to research matters and maybe throw in an ettiquette class for online behavior and... ...anyway my point is developing people should be a part of growth.

...Back to my original thought. What do you think about the survey idea?

basehordream 2 years, 1 month ago

so, after all applications have been looked over, ed bush and richard drennon will be appointed tonight.