Afghan shooting suspect expected to be brought to Fort Leavenworth
Washington A senior defense official says the U.S. soldier accused in the killings of 16 Afghan civilians is expected to be flown to the U.S. military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., as early as Friday.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of security surrounding the move, says the shift does not necessarily mean a decision was imminent on announcing formal criminal charges against the suspect.
The suspect, whose name has not been made public, was moved from Afghanistan to Kuwait on Wednesday. Officials say that transfer was necessary because there was no appropriate detention facility to hold him in Afghanistan.
Fort Leavenworth is the military's only maximum-security prison.
More like this story
- Adult students find success with Bonner-based diploma completion program
- End of an era: BLHS teacher says goodbye after 35 years
- Wichita teachers challenged to teach refugee children
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas
- Basehor accordionist shares 'alien' instrument with grade schoolers