Police looking for driver of stolen truck who led officers on chase
The Lawrence Police Department called off a pursuit of a stolen vehicle just before noon Monday.
According to Lawrence police Sgt. Trent McKinley, here’s a rundown of the chase:
• The owner of a teal 1994 Chevy Z-71 truck spotted that vehicle — stolen from a lot in Tonganoxie last night — near 23rd and Louisiana streets.
• Police responded and the truck fled, and other police vehicles joined the pursuit.
• The truck drove through west Lawrence and back to downtown, before exiting the road and driving on railroad tracks.
• Back on the road, the truck shot through the Pinckney neighborhood, before heading to an area near Second and McDonald.
• Because of safety concerns, the chase was called off.
McKinley said officers were working on several leads in the case.
A 1981 black Trans Am also was stolen last night from the same lot in Tonganoxie, McKinley said.