City band gearing up for summer performances
The Bonner Springs City Band is preparing for the summer concert season.
The organizational rehearsal will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 31, at the Bonner Springs High School band room, followed by a picnic for band members and their families.
The band will play concerts at Kelly Murphy Park beginning at 8:30 p.m. on Thursdays during June and July.
The Bonner Springs Band Commission, Don Wheeler, chairperson, oversees the program. Bill Turley is the director of the band and Aaron Hall is the assistant director.
The commission refers to the words of Larry Berg, who led the band for 20 years before his untimely death last summer: “The Bonner Springs City Band is unique when compared to other city bands. The membership of the band includes players of all ages. In fact, young musicians are encouraged to join in the fun. It is amazing how much the young players can learn in a setting which includes people of all ages.”
For more information, contact Turley at 687-8248 or the Bonner Springs Parks and Recreation Department, 422-7010.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: More holiday events, tasty eats and food for your ears
- Kansas City Connection: A bakery to satisfy your cookie addiction
- Kansas City Connection: The Sundry shows off its suppliers
- Kansas House to consider stiffening scrap theft penalties
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary