Archive for Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Raceway Ministries is unique outlet for service

Sheryl and Tony Turner of Basehor have been volunteering with Raceway Ministries for the last few years.

October 30, 2012

As Sheryl Turner waited for another bus load of race fans at the turn one tram stop at Kansas Speedway, an old man approached her.

From the look of his scars, he had been badly burned earlier in life.

Sheryl meets thousands of people when she volunteers at race weekends, but there are always ones she’ll never forget.

As she waited with the man for his shuttle to his seat, he told her he was there to watch his grandson race, just like he used to before his crash.

Although Sheryl and her husband, Tony Turner, have been at every NASCAR race in Kansas City for the last few years, they still couldn’t tell you much about racing.

They’re busy entertaining cranky children, shuttling people with disabilities and cooking for other volunteers on behalf of Raceway Ministries.

The raceway has employees to assist with many aspects of race weekends, but there’s also an army of volunteers who work behind the scenes, Sheryl said.

After hearing about the Raceway Ministries at a church conference, the Turners, who live in Basehor, decided it would be a good way to volunteer their time, as well as share the ministry’s message with anyone interested.

“For Tony and I, volunteering is just something we do as a family,” she said.

Raceway Ministries volunteers set up tents in the campgrounds to offer meals to other volunteers, and they provide entertainment and refreshments to race fans and their families, she said. In addition to a short Sunday worship service in the campgrounds, volunteers also run the trams around the track.

The Turners often work 16-hour days in blistering heat or icy winds on race weekends, but it’s all worth it, Sheryl said. On those extreme days, race fans often tell her she doesn’t get paid enough. They’re shocked to learn she doesn’t get paid at all.

“I’ve had people tell me they would never do it unless they got paid,” she said, but that’s the difference between people, she adds.

She’s been manning the tram stop at turn one ever since she started volunteering, and Tony has been driving a tram, which he especially enjoys because he gets to interact with children, Sheryl said.

Sheryl will only see these fans twice a year, but many remember her face year after year.

When the race was over and the old man saw Sheryl moving again, she was busy moving hundreds of people onto the bus. He stopped her to thank her for volunteering, and as a token of gratitude, he slipped off his jeweled Richard Petty Hall of Fame ring to let her hold it.

“I have never taken this off for anybody,” he told her.

Despite the lines of people waiting to leave, everyone crowded around to see the ring. Sheryl may not understand much about racing, but his actions were loud and clear.

“I felt honored that he trusted me enough to take it off and hold it,” Sheryl said.

For more information about Raceway Ministries, visit racewayministries.com.

Comments

mastersteam 2 years, 1 month ago

Very convenient to write a story about someone that running for a write-in vote a week before election. Guess even in Basehor, the media tries to influence the elections.

amontemayor 2 years, 1 month ago

We wrote the story about the Turners because they volunteered at the race a couple of weeks ago at Kansas Speedways. The time it was published was based on that.

MomToThree 2 years, 1 month ago

Good article! The Turner's are good people and it's about time they were in the spotlight and given a little credit for their self-less work. They have been a part of the Basehor community for 30 + years and have served this community in many different ways. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Turner for your work ethic, love for family and community, and faith!

mastersteam 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess we should ignore the fact then that Tony has been accused of sexual misconduct by one of the young female firefighters down at Fairmount?

amontemayor 2 years, 1 month ago

We wrote the story on the Turners because they volunteered at the race a couple of weeks ago at Kansas Speedways. The timing of the story was based on that.

shirleynot 2 years, 1 month ago

According to the article they "have been at every NASCAR race in Kansas City for the last few years" and it just now becomes important enough to be on the front page of the paper. How convenient. How nice that volunteering is just something they do as a family, but lots of families volunteer their time and don't get an article posted in the paper. I guess a little free advertisement never hurts when you are a write-in candidate. Hopefully, in the future we will see front page articles about all the other families in Basehor that do volunteer work.

amontemayor 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure Basehor is full of families who donate their time to many worthy causes, and I'm always looking for human interest stories in Basehor. I just started here a couple of months ago, so if you have any suggestions for more people you think I should write about, I'd love to hear from you. Please email me any ideas at amontemayor@basehorinfo.com. — Annie Montemayor, Basehor Sentinel

shirleynot 2 years, 1 month ago

Do you have time to run similar articles about all the other candidates in Basehor that are running for election next Tuesday? I'm sure many of them do lots of volunteer work. They should get equal time. Oh but I guess that would be hard to do since we only have 4 days until the elections.

mastersteam 2 years, 1 month ago

While the Turners do fine volunteer work in and around the community, this story could have waited until after the election. While I dont know if you reached out to them or if they reached out you for this story, it would just be a bit more responsible if this story didnt go to print this week. I'm not blaming you Mrs Montemayor, more so your editors.

shirleynot 2 years, 1 month ago

I have to agree with mastersteam. It does seem a little biased to have ran this story the week before elections. Maybe in the future, the newspaper might want to think about how this looks.

Lukowski23 2 years, 1 month ago

I have been a citizen of Basehor for 23 years and would like to put my thoughts on this. First off all I would like to say thank you to the Turners for their volunteer work for the speedway. It takes a big person to do what they do.

On a seperate note I am deeply concerned with the politics in our community. What is troubling to me here is that Mr. Turner tried to run for the position that his wife is asking to be a write in canidate for and lost in the primary. One would think that would be the end of it. However Mrs. Turner decided to run as a write in after her husband lost the primary. Is this a way for the husband to be able to establish his agenda after lossing the primary? I just feel that if Mrs. Turner wanted to run she should have been the one to run in the primary. This is why out political system is broken. As a result I know what my vote will be because of this. There has been a great discussion among my neighbors about this and we would have voted for Mrs. Turner first if she had run in the primary as she had more experience then Mr. Turner. We as citizens have got to pay attention to how our political system is working and try to fix it.

Lastly I would like to say that I do not feel that this article is convenient around the election. The Turners just worked a race event and then received coverage. I do not have an issue with that at all. However I understand where other people are coming from as far as getting more time for the other canidates.

masterstream 2 years, 1 month ago

Very well said Lukowski23.

Here is the quick rundown on how the election for this position has broken down.

Brandon Roberts and Tony Turner, whom both were members of the Fairmount Township FD, ran against each other in the primary for the same spot. Brandon Roberts won the position over Tony Turner. Shortly after that, Brandon Roberts was fired by Fire Chief Jeff Theno and Assistant Chief Chuck Magaha from the FD. Their reason for firing Roberts are unknown to myself, but it LOOKS fishy since he isnt apart of the good ol boy system that runs our FD. After Roberts was fired, news started spreading around town along with a mailer and at least one sign about Mrs. Turners bid to be a write in for the same position that her husband lost the election for.

Yes this article has nothing in it about Mrs Turners bid for as a write in for the election tomorrow, and I doubt the author knew about it also when the story was written, but it just seems way to convenient to me about the timing of this article.

Basehor 2 years, 1 month ago

How do you know he was fired? Are you on the Fairmount Township Fire Department?

mastersteam 2 years, 1 month ago

No, I am not on the fire dept. Just what a mutual friend that Brandon Roberts and myself share.

Doesnt matter now, Roberts won his election.