USD 204 to purchase internet filter
A new internet filter will help Bonner Springs-Edwardsville USD 204 move forward with any future policies regarding the use of social media at the district’s schools.
The Board of Education Monday approved the use of $44,072 to purchase a filter system to help protect the district from spam emails as well as control what websites students and teachers can access.
Ken Clark, district director of technology, told the school board that the district once had a filter, but it was the victim of budget cuts about four years ago. The district’s current system blocks social media and other websites either for everybody or for nobody. Blocking certain websites forces high school students to do research for classes on negative topics that may be blocked from home, which hurts those who don’t have internet access at home.
The district also often has been the victim of spam email in recent years, Clark said, and had been placed on a “blocked” list by the district’s internet provider.
Clark recommended the district use capital outlay funds to purchase an internet filter appliance and service, which would generate reports of any students or faculty trying to reach inappropriate websites.
While some services were charging up to $83,000, Clark found that a company called Edgewave, which now owns the I-Prism filter service the district formerly used, was offering a discounted service for $44,072.50, a price that would remain the same for five years.
In other business, the board:
• Heard from Superintendent Robert VanMaren that the district was to receive school report cards and state assessment scores on Wednesday, Sept. 19. Watch bonnersprings.com and future editions of The Chieftain for more.
• Appointed Ray Cox as Vaughn-Trent representative
• Adopted the K-2 Reading Street program.
• Approved the minutes from the Sept. 4 meeting.
• Approved treasurer and clerk’s reports.
• Approved warrants totaling $236,607.
More like this story
- Kansas University student dies from bacterial meningitis
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- Police: Man shot out outside Kansas mall knew gunmen