Kubas, Dumler, Ballou lead Braves at SM West track invitational
Lenexa The Bonner Springs track teams competed at the Shawnee Mission West Invitational with the boys coming away in seventh and the girls placing eighth.
The boys team champion was Leavenworth (140 points) and Shawnee Mission East took the girls team crown.
The BSHS boys, who scored 47 points as a team, were led by third-place finishess from Anthony Kubas in the triple jump (42-1.5) and Kyle Dumler in the discus (147-2.5). In the 4-x-800-meter relay, the BSHS boys were also third (8:51.33).
Dumler added a fourth in the shot put (47-5.5), while Jonah Freese tied for fifth in the high jump, clearing 5-8 and Kubas was sixth in the long jump (19-11.5).
"I thought we competed well against some bigger schools," BSHS boys coach Rob Marriott said. "We had medals in the 4-x-800, triple jump and discus so I was happy with that. The technical aspects aren't where they could be because of limited practice time, but the weather is something we can't control. We can only control how we feel about it. We haven't been able to hit the pits or throw as much, but the runners have been able to run."
The Brave girls' only points were scored by Mandy Ballou, who came in seventh in the 3,200-meter run with a time of 13:47.79.
More like this story
- Presidential museum visit causes reflection on recent history
- Verruckt is 'terrifying, but great,' says KCK mayor
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Community walk to mark 1-year anniversary of shootings at Jewish sites
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books