Kubas, Dumler, Ballou lead Braves at SM West track invitational
Lenexa The Bonner Springs track teams competed at the Shawnee Mission West Invitational with the boys coming away in seventh and the girls placing eighth.
The boys team champion was Leavenworth (140 points) and Shawnee Mission East took the girls team crown.
The BSHS boys, who scored 47 points as a team, were led by third-place finishess from Anthony Kubas in the triple jump (42-1.5) and Kyle Dumler in the discus (147-2.5). In the 4-x-800-meter relay, the BSHS boys were also third (8:51.33).
Dumler added a fourth in the shot put (47-5.5), while Jonah Freese tied for fifth in the high jump, clearing 5-8 and Kubas was sixth in the long jump (19-11.5).
"I thought we competed well against some bigger schools," BSHS boys coach Rob Marriott said. "We had medals in the 4-x-800, triple jump and discus so I was happy with that. The technical aspects aren't where they could be because of limited practice time, but the weather is something we can't control. We can only control how we feel about it. We haven't been able to hit the pits or throw as much, but the runners have been able to run."
The Brave girls' only points were scored by Mandy Ballou, who came in seventh in the 3,200-meter run with a time of 13:47.79.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Linwood business owner Kim Miller-Tallman
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs volunteer Becky Korgol
- Tractor Daze event expected to be bigger, better
- Education focus: Academic boot camp program puts veterans back in the classroom