UPDATE: BLHS student dies after vehicle collision
Basehor-Linwood School District has confirmed that student Shealyn Hayes, 15, of Basehor died Tuesday afternoon from injuries sustained in a car accident earlier that morning.
There is no update on the condition of her brother, Tristan, who was driving the sport utility vehicle when a semi-truck hit the passenger side door at about 7:30 Tuesday morning.
Tristan, 16, was driving a 2002 Ford Explorer north on 166th Street with Shealyn as a passenger when Tristan failed to yield at U.S. Highway 24-40, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol report.They were hit by a semi-trailer heading west driven by Wilban Araujo, 45, of Pensacola, Fla.
Aruajo was uninjured, but both Tristan and Shaelyn were taken to KU Hospital, where Shealyn later died. All involved were wearing seat belts.
USD 458 Superintendent David Howard said the district has counselors available to staff and students.
More like this story
- Kansas firm criticized for plan to hike electric rates $152 million
- Union Pacific plans to spend $120 million on Kansas rail
- Kansas House panel working on plan to raise various taxes
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Mars Inc. to expand candy-making plant in Kansas