UPDATE: BLHS student dies after vehicle collision
Basehor-Linwood School District has confirmed that student Shealyn Hayes, 15, of Basehor died Tuesday afternoon from injuries sustained in a car accident earlier that morning.
There is no update on the condition of her brother, Tristan, who was driving the sport utility vehicle when a semi-truck hit the passenger side door at about 7:30 Tuesday morning.
Tristan, 16, was driving a 2002 Ford Explorer north on 166th Street with Shealyn as a passenger when Tristan failed to yield at U.S. Highway 24-40, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol report.They were hit by a semi-trailer heading west driven by Wilban Araujo, 45, of Pensacola, Fla.
Aruajo was uninjured, but both Tristan and Shaelyn were taken to KU Hospital, where Shealyn later died. All involved were wearing seat belts.
USD 458 Superintendent David Howard said the district has counselors available to staff and students.
More like this story
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Employer sent to prison for hiring workers illegally in U.S.
- Kansas Legislature mulls slashing green energy incentives
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Analysis: Kansas GOP lawmakers set up debate on higher taxes