Sunday blaze claims Tonganoxie garage
A fire destroyed a garage that included living quarters Sunday afternoon near Tonganoxie.
The fire started about 3 p.m. at 207th Street and West Street near U.S. Highway 24-40 just east of Tonganoxie.
Stranger Township Fire Chief Mark Billquist said the garage was fully involved in fire when crews first arrived on scene.
The detached garage was about 50 feet from the residence, which did not sustain damage, Billquist said. A neighbor reported the fire, which left the garage a total loss.
Billquist said Tonganoxie City fire crews were first on scene and were focused on protecting the house.
“When there were more crews on scene we were able to attack the fire,” Billquist said.
No one was home when the fire broke out.
The State Fire Marshal investigated the fire, but the cause remains under investigation.
“We left it to the insurance company to investigate the exact cause,” Billquist said. “We couldn’t come up with any theories of how it might have started.”
Sherman and Tonganoxie Township fire departments also assisted.
“We really appreciated all their help,” Billquist said, noting the crews also had to battle the weather conditions. “With it being a weekend, staffing was limited for all of us. All four departments put together a good force there to fight the fire.”
More like this story
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits
- Class of 2015: BLHS senior says organization is the key
- Kansas City Connection: Eating recommendations for moms (and everyone else)
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station