Archive for Tuesday, February 12, 2013

City wants more applicants for city administrator

February 12, 2013

City officials have decided to put the search for a new city administrator on hold temporarily until after city elections in April.

Citing the low number of applications received and the upcoming election, Mayor David Breuer said city council members may revise the job requirements to attract more candidates and continue the search.

Breuer said the education requirement set forth may be too stringent, and a candidate’s professional experience should be taken into account as well.

Comments

StandforSomething 1 year, 2 months ago

Give me a break! Lower the requirements? Let's hope the requirements include having an IQ above room temperature, based on all the problems in the past. We've been told twice that the search hasn't ever started yet, that it keeps being put off until "later," so getting any applications at all should be applauded. This leads one to easily conclude that either a fellow crony, or the current "acting-city administrator," (who's a defendant in a federal lawsuit) doesn't meet the smell test, opps, I mean doesn't meet the requirements, so city hall plans to get 'em in permanently, one way or the other. Oh so quick to jump on former city council members, accusing them of not following protocol, but now the current city council plans to change protocol to better suit their agenda, the defendant's agenda, or both. Yeah, right. We need to vote them all out and start over. You in?

armystrong 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't know about replacing all of them. I would like to know if they're looking out for the best interest of the city, the best interest of the people or their own best interests. Based on what the prior comment said there does seem to be a double standard. Bottom line no matter what side of the fence you're on you either do things right or you don't. It's that simple.

Does anybody know what Breuer was in charge of the water company fiasco or lawsuit last year? None of us could remember. I don't think it was David but I'm not 100 percent sure.

I unfortunately don't have a college degree just some good old-fashioned Army training but I'm smart enough to know that the above statement by councilman Breuer just doesn't make any sense. The more I talk to people and learn about some of the things that are going on in the city the less confident I am in this current administration. ( Some of the items referenced above ) I agree with all of the above except for voting all of them out, at this point.

I have to ask. I was getting gas and noticed a white unmarked police car with a KU tag on it. Please tell me this is not a Basehor police officer or a commanding officer riding around in a city owned vehicle with a darn college license plate on it. ( No matter what city owns it thats completely inappropriate and kind of odd )

LightTheDarkCorners 1 year, 1 month ago

David is not "officially" involved in the day to day management of Suburban Water. His company, KC Construction specializes in underground construction ie utility installation - sewer water lines etc.

If he does not currently a registered owner of Suburban he is a potential owner by future inheritance.

Without access to heavy duty investigation capability it is impossible to see which Breuers own what and when. Their lead holding ID is probably the Breuhaven Trust, but a few minutes on the KSSOS site will turn up more than 20 registrations with a Breuer connection. They move assets between companies very often.

The KS Corporation Commission does have investigators and some of Suburban's abuses are detailed in the final orders from the last two rate cases 11-SUBW-448-RTS & 12-SUBW-359-RTS.

johninbasehor 1 year, 1 month ago

The postings of this group of fanatics is comical. Trying to stir up something that doesn't exist just to cause turmoil and drama. Why are we in such a rush to hire another $100,000 body at city hall? We could hire a couple of people for the public works department and still have money left over. The arrangement with an acting city manager seems to be working fine IMO.

johninbasehor 1 year, 1 month ago

March 1

I see where the city's insurance carrier took an 18% increase in the city's liability premium for the coming year. I have to wonder how much of that increase can directly be attributed to Fred Box voting to terminate the former city manager causing the city's insurance company to pay off a $200,000 wrongful termination lawsuit because Box disregarded the advice of the city attorney against that termination.

armystrong 1 year, 1 month ago

I think you're right they're setting Martley up for the job. There's no other logical explanation for not advertising the position. I don't buy for 1 second that people don't want the city administrator position because of what happened in the PAST! If that logic was to hold true then no one would want the Mayor position or the city council positions. Common sense!