School board approves principals’ contracts, calendar
Basehor-Linwood School Board approved the 2013-14 school year calendar and all principals’ contracts at its meeting Monday night.
The only major change to the calendar from this year is adding a second day of parent teacher conferences for Basehor Elementary School and moving the second half-day of the year to the last day of school.
Also at the meeting:
• Board members again discussed Trinity Family Learning Center’s request to lease space in Linwood Elementary School to offer reduced-cost day care. Members agree Linwood needs the service and they plan to move forward with the project.
• The board discussed a building rental request for Village Community Church. The church is working on finding a permanent home but wants to meet in the high school auditorium for about a year until it can find one.
• Board members reached consensus that they’d like to seek bids change locks so teachers can lock their classroom doors from the inside. Basehor-Linwood Middle School already has the locks, but all other schools would need to be updated.
• The board discussed the possibility of buying iPads for all teachers at the middle school before the next school year to expand its iPad initiative. Members will discuss it further at its next meeting.
• The board approved these appointments: Norma Leavendusky, food service; William Jones, assistant baseball coach; Kelly McCarthy, part-time assistant softball coach; Kortney Rist, part-time assistant softball coach; Debby King, BLMS assistant track coach; and Donna Suarez, Glenwood Ridge Elementary School fourth-grade teacher. Members accepted the resignation of Patricia Rives, food service, and the retirements of Lynette Beebe, BLMS art teacher, and Dorothy Hoyt-Reed, BLMS/LES Spanish teacher.