Mayoral primary voting off to slow start
Leavenworth County Clerk Janet Klasinski is reporting low voter turnout so far today for the Basehor mayoral primary election.
About 60 residents voted in advance of today’s election, and due to inclement weather, only seven people had voted by about 9:15 a.m. at the city’s polling location at Holy Angels Catholic Church.
Polls will remain open until 7 p.m.
Advance voting was extended from the normal deadline of noon Monday to 7 p.m. accommodate voters in preparation of today’s storm.
“People thought the weather would be fine,” Klasinski said of low advance voting numbers.
Klasinski said she expects to see more voters at the polling site, 15410 Leavenworth Road, later today, once snow subsides and roads begin to clear.
Check back throughout the day for updates on the primary election from the Basehor Sentinel.
2 p.m. update
Voter turnout is still low, Klasinski said, with only about 50 residents total throughout the day.
Check in later for results from today's primary.
More like this story
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Bonner small business awarded by SBDC
- State officials ready to work with Bonner Springs's K-7 requests
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it