Fire destroys Harrington home in Bonner
The home of a prominent Bonner Springs family was all but destroyed by fire this morning.
Bonner Springs Fire Chief Denny Hubbel said the fire department was called at 11 a.m. to the home of John and Connie Harrington, in the 600 block of Nettleton Avenue. Fire was showing from the home when firefighters arrived, and two Kansas City Kansas Fire Department vehicles were called in to assist.
Family members were home when the fire began and no one was hurt, but four dogs were lost in the fire, Hubbel said.
Hubbel did not have a damage estimate yet, with most of the fire damaging the rear of the home, but he guessed the damage between three-quarters to a total loss when fire, smoke and water damage was considered. The cause of the fire appears to be a failure in a gas fireplace, Hubbel said.
John and Connie Harrington were the third generation owners of Alden-Harrington Funeral Home in Bonner Springs, which is now run by their sons, Jeff and Brad Harrington.
More like this story
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Alarm clocks 'hated' but necessary since ancient Greece
- Free teen driving program offered this weekend at Bonner Springs amphiteater
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it
- Hot-air balloon festival relocates to Ag Hall grounds