Remember When for July 11, 2013
Events reported this week in The Chieftain from 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
10 Years Ago: July 10, 2003
The Bonner Springs Fire Department was holding a car wash to benefit the Relay for Life.
Gary Parker was director of the VFW Horseshow Tournament planned for August.
The Bonner Springs Summer Hoop Fest was planned for the parking lot west of the bus barn. Herman McConico was seeking additional portable goals for the event.
The Basehor PRIDE organization held its annual Fourth of July parade.
25 Years Ago: July 14, 1988
A large crowd attended the Basehor Fourth of July celebration, which featured a fireworks display.
The Edwardsville State Bank donated scoreboards for parks in Edwardsville. Norm Steffey, president, was shown making the presentation to Mayor Don Harbour.
Dr. Jeff Elmer was elected president of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville School Board.
The Edwardsville City Council voted to spend $309,765 to purchase two new fire trucks.
50 Years Ago: July 9-11, 1963
The Bonner Springs School Board approved a new five mill levy for improvements.
The Bonner Springs Public Library reported that it set a record for monthly circulation when 3,185 items were checked out.
The Rev. Laurence Foote was the new pastor at the Edwardsville Methodist Church.
The young people of the Basehor Baptist Church held a picnic at the Wyandotte County Lake. The adults from the church joined them for evening worship.
100 Years Ago: July 10, 1913
The court handed down a permanent injunction banning the Depot Café from selling hard cider.
Twenty Camp Fire Girls accompanied by Mrs. R. W. Ferguson, Mrs. C. W. Cooper and Miss Fern Lucas conducted a hike around Bonner Springs.
A kitchen was added as part of the domestic science class room at Bonner Springs High School. Miss Edna Pugh was the teacher.
Lack of financial support resulted in The Chieftain ceasing publication of its special Edwardsville section, despite the best efforts of Editor Rathbun.