BLHS powerlifters second at Belton ahead of Saturday’s state meet
As it happens, February’s twin snowstorms gave the Basehor-Linwood powerlfiting teams something of a state tune-up one week before the season’s finale.
The Belton Invitational, initially scheduled for Feb. 23, was instead held on Saturday. Competing in an unconventional format — six areas plus a power score; both boys girls and juniors all graded together — the Bobcats still managed to place second, just eight points behind the meet’s host. Kearney placed behind BLHS with 66 points and De Soto was fourth with 52.
Rachel Cook took home the award for best performance index of the meet, placing first in the Women 1 division after benching 115 pounds, squatting 185 and earning a 4.71 score on pro agility.
Also on Saturday, Katey Trower earned the highest power points of the meet, edging teammate Sierra Smith in a tiebreaker after the pair finished with 505 points. Trower also benched 165 pounds.
Top performers from BLHS are as follows.
Junior 1 Division
• Chase Unruh, third place, 320 points; best vertical, 31 inches; best broad jump 9-feet-1 inch
• Jacob Cook, best clean, 185 pounds
Junior 2 Division
• Tyler Kendrick, third place, 390 points; best clean, 280 pounds; second total, 725 pounds
Junior 3 Division
• Dean Cochran, first place, 430 points; best bench, 265 pounds; best clean, 285 pounds; best pro agility, 4.51 points; first total, 895 pounds
Men 1 Division
• Layne Roberts, third place, 415 points
• Trey Kincheloe, pro agility, 4.02 points
Men 3 Division
• Matt Ogilvie, broad jump, 9-0
Men 5 Division
• Drew Potter, second place, 455 points; first, pro agility, 4.41 points
• Bret Fritz, first, squat, 550 pounds; first, clean, 315 pounds; first total, 1,125 pounds
Women 1 Division
• Rachael Cook, first place, 440 points; first, bench, 115 pounds; first, squat, 185 pounds; pro agility, 4.71 points; first, total, 425 pounds. Winner of best performance index.
• Sara Rehm, second, 385 points; first, clean, 135 pounds; second, total, 405 pounds
• Madision Howard, 370 points; first, vertical jump, 22.5 inches; broad jump, 7-8
Women 2 Division
• Katey Trower, first, 505 points (tiebreaker); bench, 165 pounds; first total, 525 pounds; Winner of highest power points.
• Sierra Smith, second, points, 505; first, vertical, 30 inches; first, broad jump, 8-6
• Courtney Norris, third, points, 490; second, total, 490 pounds
• Courtney Leive, first, clean, 170 pounds
Women 3 Division
• Maecy Cooper, third, points, 475; first, pro agility, 4.69 points; third, totat, 555 pounds
• Allison Kasick, first, bench, 145 pounds; first, total, 600 pounds.
The Bobcats return to competition on Saturday with the state meet in Abilene. Last season, the BLHS girls won their fifth straight state title and the boys won their third straight. In the process, three girls broke state records and coach Ross Schwisow said the boys had their most successful performance.
More like this story
- Kansas congressional staffer sentenced for child sex charges
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender
- Kansas prisons full; official outlines $27M expansion option
- Kansas official seeks to save funds to treat drug offenders
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown