Briefly: BSHS boys golf first, softball ends slump
The Bonner Springs boys golf team closed out the season in the same fashion with which it began, taking a first-place finish at the Mount Academy Invitational on Tuesday.
Marc McClain shot a 73 to place first overall individually and was followed by teammate Tristan Abts, who shot a 74. Jason VanMaren finished fourth overall after shooting a career-best 82, and Jake Laing placed 10th after he shot an 86.
The tournament victory followed up a second-place finish by the Braves at the Atchison Invitational on Thursday. The Braves finished ahead of Tonganoxie and just behind Piper with a 315. Abts took the top spot of the invitational with a 72 and McClain placed fifth with a 75.
BSHS softball ends slump
The Bonner Springs softball team routed Washington, 15-0, on Tuesday in three innings, powered by a nine-hit attack.
Mikaela Bennett led the way with three hits, a triple and two RBIs, and Cassady Holloway also came through with a triple and three RBIs.
Bennett and Annie Carpenter each took the mound in the victory, which brought the Braves’ record to 2-9. Mikayla Ussery also added a double.
BSHS returns to play against Tonganoxie at 4 p.m. Thursday.
More like this story
- Abts, McClain give BSHS boys golf pair of top finishes
- Briefly: Otting, Abts lead BLHS, BSHS at Mill Valley golf invite; BSHS soccer blanks KC Christian
- McClain's 11th-place finish leads BSHS at state golf tournament
- Abts leads trio of top-three finishes by Sunflower Classic champion Braves
- High school spring sports preview: Bonner Springs