Archive for Thursday, October 24, 2013

Man pleads guilty to May carjacking, robbery near Basehor

October 24, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

Updated: October 24, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

A Kansas City, Kan., man pleaded guilty this week to federal charges arising from an armed robbery and a carjacking that ended with him being chased by Basehor police and other law enforcement officers through a field in Basehor in May, according to U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom’s office.

Derrick Freeman, 28, pleaded guilty to one count of armed robbery, one count of carjacking, and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm after a felony conviction.

In his plea, Freeman admitted that on May 12, he and four co-defendants went to the home of a Kansas City, Kan., man to buy some synthetic marijuana, according to a statement released by Grissom. Once there, they allegedly robbed the man at gunpoint, the statement says. During the robbery, according to Grissom, Freeman fired a handgun and then fled the scene before police arrived.

On May 26, Freeman and his co-defendants allegedly walked to a Stop Shop gas station at 6865 State Avenue in Kansas City, Kan., where Freeman suggested they “get a car,” according to Grissom. They were accused of stealing a 2004 Ford Freestar minivan and leading police on a 17-minute chase at speeds up to 112 miles-per-hour.

The minivan wrecked in a plowed field near Leavenworth Road and North 184th Street in Basehor where the defendants fled on foot. Freeman, according to Grissom, fired a handgun at a law enforcement officer before being arrested.

The U.S. Attorney’s office and the defendant have agreed to recommend a sentence of 300 months in federal prison, according to Grissom’s statement. Freeman will be sentenced at a later date.

Also facing charges as co-defendants are Jeffrey Jackson, 47, of Leavenworth, Terry Tillman, 26, of Kansas City, Kan., Anthony Irvin, 19, of Kansas City, Kan., and Melvin Shields, 20, of Kansas City, Kan. Jackson is awaiting trial for his charges while the others have sentencing hearings set in November.

Law enforcement agencies involved in the chase were the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department, the Wyandotte County Sheriff’s Department, the Kansas Highway Patrol, the Basehor Police Department, the Edwardsville Police Department, the Bonner Springs Police Department, and the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Department.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.