Remember When for Sept. 19, 2013
Events from this week reported in The Chieftain 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
10 Years Ago: Sept. 18, 2003
The residence of Basil and Janice Brown was named “yard of the month” winner in Basehor.
Bonner Springs-Edwardsville School District was studying adopting a balanced schedule to increase student achievement.
Bonner Springs’ sales tax receipts showed a gain of 44 percent, according to a report from Tille LaPlante, finance director.
The first steps were being taken to upgrade water mains in the Grandview area. Approval was give to installing a new 12-inch main.
25 Years Ago: Sept. 22, 1988
Forrest Kindle purchased Waymire’s IGA from J. R. Waymire. Kindle also owned the grocery store in Lansing.
Bonner Springs High 5chool homecoming candidates were: Melissa McGraw, Mary Miller and Tisa Bolton, queen; Derek Anderson, Eric Anderson, king. Colleen Burns was junior attendant.
KP&L Gas Service announced it was closing its Bonner Springs office on Oak Street.
The newly-formed Habitat for Humanity group in Bonner Springs was seeking additional members.
50 Years Ago: Sept. 15-19, 1968
The new Basehor High School opened even though workmen were still putting finishing touches on the building. Principal Ward Keister was shown in a photo with students Raymond Vaughn, Jean Pierce and Nancy Runnels.
The new Wyandotte County Bank was opening at 78th and State, Kansas City, Ks. Harold Dickey was bank president.
Adalain Coiner was installed as Worthy Advisor of the Bonner Springs Order of the Rainbow Girls.
The Bonner Springs Board of Education voted to add physical education to the grade school curriculum.
100 Years Ago: Sept. 18, 1913
Two Bonner Springs’ young people went to Kansas City, Kan., on a dare and were married. The union was annulled in district court later in the week.
Local Boy Scouts painted poles along the golden Belt Road.
Earl Hart purchased the City Delivery Service from James Ballentine.
Inclement weather caused the vaudeville show in Basehor to extend its schedule.