BLHS track breaks four program records
The Basehor-Linwood track and field team opened its 2014 season Friday, and the Bobcats re-wrote the program's record book in the process.
BLHS broke four team records at the Baldwin Invitational. The Bobcat girls won a team title with 137 points, beating out reigning state champion Baldwin by 13 points. Meanwhile, the BLHS boys finished 11 with 35 points.
Junior Quinnlyn won individual titles in the 3,200-meter run (12:16.68) and 2,000-meter steeplechase (7:59.42) and set new program records in both events. Her winning time in the steeplechase also broke the Baldwin meet record of 8:11.75 set by Lansing's Mariah Anthony in 2012. Fellow junior Sierra Smith also set a school mark in the triple jump, winning the event with a jump of 35-9.
Marriah Clayton won the team's only other individual title in the 100-meter dash (13.31) and added a third-place finish in the 200-meter dash (28.14). As a team, the Bobcat girls combined for three second-place and three third-place finishes.
On the boys side, senior Johnny Fulkerson answered Walcott's steeplechase record with a record of his own. The recent Baker University cross country signee finished seventh with a time of 7:14.18. The boys didn't have any individual champions, but had five top-five finishes.
A complete list of BLHS individual placers is available below. The Bobcats will be back in action Tuesday at the Lansing Invitational.
Girls team results
- Basehor-Linwood, 137; 2. Baldwin, 124; 3. Pittsburg, 112; 4. Blue Valley Southwest, 85; 5. Perry-Lecompton, 64; 6. De Soto, 52; 7. Spring Hill, 49; 8. Eudora, 48; 9. Anderson County, 33; 10. Bonner Springs, 11; 11. Wellsville, 9; 12. Jeff West, 8.
BLHS individual placers
First place: Quinnlyn Walcott, 3,200-meter run (12:16.68), 2,000-meter steeplechase (7:59.42); Marriah Clayton, 100-meter dash (13.31); Sierra Smith, triple jump (35-9).
Second place: Courtney Norris, 100-meter hurdles (16.79); Claire Walsh, 2,000-meter steeplechase (9:16.13); Madison Bergman, long jump (15-9).
Third place: Marriah Clayton, 200-meter dash (28.14); Katie Trower, shot put (34-8); 4x100-meter relay team (53.09).
Fourth place: Victoria Smith, discus (99-5).
Fifth place: Cassie Beattie, 300-meter hurdles (54.63); Allison Heinen, triple jump (32-6); Katie Trower, discus (98-3); 4x800-meter relay team (11:08.28).
Sixth place: Cassie Beattie, 100-meter hurdles (18.58); Katie Eberth, 2,000-meter steeplechase (9:53.81); Katie Trower, javelin (111-2); Victoria Smith (31-5.75).
Boys team results
- Baldwin, 113; 2. Blue Valley Southwest, 111; 3. Bonner Springs, 86; 4. De Soto, 71; 5. Pittsburg, 66; 6. Spring Hill, 61; 7. Perry-Lecompton, 56; 8. Eudora, 55.5; 9. Jeff West, 36; 10. Wellsville, 35.5; 11. Basehor-Linwood, 35; 12. Anderson County, 6.
BLHS individual placers
Third place: 4x800-meter relay team (9:06.94).
Fifth place: Hunter Taylor, 110-meter hurdles (18.86); Connor Smith, pole vault (9-0); Jared Hiss, shot put (43-9.5); 4x400-meter relay team (3:48.18).
Sixth place: Chet Sarlls, pole vault (8-6).
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Ex-lawmaker faces sentencing for fraud to finance campaign
- Backyard Beauty: Basehor area resident turns yard into wildlife habitat
- Kansas governor signs nation's 1st ban on abortion procedure
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row