Brave, Bobcat golfers compete at Mill Valley tourney
BSHS senior McClain finishes second
Olathe Bonner Springs' Marc McClain came within one stroke of an individual title Wednesday at the Mill Valley Jaguar Invitational, but in the end, the Brave senior had to settle for a silver medal.
McClain came in second at Prairie Highlands Golf Course in Olathe with a score of 74, finishing one stroke behind Tonganoxie's Drew Sandburg. He was one of two Braves to place in the top 20 individually, leading BSHS to a 12th-place team score of 359.
Fellow senior Jacob Laing joined McClain in the top 20, finishing in a four-way tie for 18th place with an 84. Laing finished even with Olathe South's Trey Rich, Olathe East's Connor Churchill and Mill Valley's Wyatt Brecunier.
No other BSHS golfers broke 100 at the tournament. Stevie Greer scored an even 100, and Caleb Malone and Nathan Hinton rounded out Brave scoring with scores of 103 and 113, respectively.
Basehor-Linwood also competed in the tournament, but no Bobcats placed individually. Bret Fritz and Ryan Potter tied for the team lead with identical scores of 94 and Jack Walsh came in one stroke behind at 95. Meanwhile, Johnny Harms and Tyler Kendrick scored 102 and 106, respectively.
As a team, BLHS finished 14th with a score of 385. St. James Academy won the team title with a 326, beating out tournament host Mill Valley by six strokes.
The Braves and Bobcats will both be back on the course Monday at the Lansing Invitational.
Overall team scores
- St. James Academy, 326; 2. Mill Valley, 332; 3. St. Thomas Aquinas, 336; 4. Piper, 340; 5. Olathe South, 340; 6. Lansing, 341; 7. Blue Valley Southwest, 347; 8. Ottawa, 349; 9. Blue Valley Northwest, 350; 10. Olathe East, 352; 11. Tonganoxie, 352; 12. Bonner Springs, 359; 13. Topeka-Hayden, 384; 14. Basehor-Linwood, 385; 15. Shawnee Mission South, 397; 16. Bishop Ward, 421; 17. Perry-Lecompton, 424.
More like this story
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Former nurse accused of sexual assaulting Kansas patients
- Penalty phase in Jewish site shootings trial to continue
- Bond increase for Kansas man charged with molestation