Nirschl, Summers earn state wrestling bids in Friday’s opener
Two Basehor-Linwood wrestlers will compete for regional championships Saturday in Holton. Whether they win or lose, though, their season will live on another week.
Corbin Nirschl (106) and Josh Summers (145) reached the finals in their respective weight classes Friday, punching their tickets to next week's state tournament in Salina.
Nirschl went 2-0 to reach the finals, pinning each of his opponents in less than a minute. He'll face Sumner Academy's Emmanuel Browne in the championship round. Summers went 3-0 with two pins and will wrestle against Royal Valley's Bryce Golightley in his title match.
Dalton Inlow (138), John Hopper (152) and Cory McCleary (152) suffered losses in the semifinals, putting themselves in do-or-die situations when action resumes Saturday. They can earn state bids with a win in their next matches, but a loss would eliminate them from competition. Opponents for each wrestlers are yet to be determined.
The team's remaining seven wrestlers lost their opening matches, but are still alive in consolation action. With the exception of Cullen Povilonous (285), each must win three matches Saturday to stave off elimination and earn a state bid. Povilonous only needs two wins because of a smaller bracket at 285 pounds. Next opponents for each wrestler are listed below.
As a team, BLHS enters Saturday in fourth place with 68.5 points. Host school Holton, which has eight wrestlers in the finals, leads the ranks with a score of 187.
Overall team scores
- Holton, 187; 2. Tonganoxie, 97.5; 3. Bonner Springs, 69; 4. Basehor-Linwood, 68.5; 5. Sumner Academy, 60.5; 6. Royal Valley, 56; 7. Atchison, 41.5; T8. De Soto, 41; T8. Piper, 41; 10. Jeff West, 38; 11. Wamego, 34; 12. Bishop Miege, 18; 13. Bishop Ward, 14; 14. Perry-Lecompton, 8; 15. Eudora, 2; 16. Hayden, 0.
BLHS individual results
Name, Friday's record, Next match
106 — Corbin Nirschl, 2-0, vs. Emmanuel Browne (Sumner)*
126 — Rylan Hawthorne, 0-2, vs. Jeff Wallingford (Atchison)
132 — Justin Phillips, 1-1, vs. Zack Zarzee (Piper)
138 — Dalton Inlow, 2-1, Opponent TBA
145 — Josh Summers, 3-0, vs. Bryce Golightley (Royal Valley)*
152 — John Hopper, 1-1, Opponent TBA
160 — Cory McCleary, 1-1, Opponent TBA
170 — Stephen Struzzo, 0-1, vs. Alias Martinez (Bishop Miege)
182 — Zach Holtgrewe, 1-1, vs. Josiah Dowding (Jeff West)
195 — Alex Yanos, 0-1, vs. Francisco Aguilar (Bishop Ward)
220 — Dominic Foster, 1-1, vs. Alan Bortolotti (Bishop Miege)
285 — Cullen Povilonous, 0-1, vs. Austin Irwin (Sumner)
*Championship match (Already earned state bid)
More like this story
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- State officials ready to work with Bonner Springs's K-7 requests
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Hallmark to transfer printing work from Georgia to Kansas
- Presidential museum visit causes reflection on recent history