Chieftain staff receives honors from state press association
The Chieftain news staff won several honors in the Kansas Press Association’s 2014 Awards of Excellence competition, the association announced today.
The Chieftain competed against other Kansas newspapers in the Non-daily Division 1 category. Entries were published during 2013.
Winning entries for The Chieftain were as follows:
• First place, youth story, news editor Caroline Boyer, for “Bonner seventh grader moonlights as stilt walker.”
• First place, local business story, Boyer, for “Zip line park aims to broaden outdoor recreation offerings.”
• First place, religion story, Boyer, for "Olathe couple come home again with equine ministry."
• Second place, news story, Boyer, for “City honors first responders.”
• Third place, feature story, Boyer, for "Allegro choir celebrates banner year."
• Third place, religion story, Boyer, for "Edwardsville native turns from scientific aspirations to life as a priest."
• Third place, photo package, Basehor reporter Nico Roesler, for "Wreaths of Remembrance."
Winners will be recognized April 12 during the association’s annual convention.