Basehor faces frigid temperatures
Basehor Wind chill numbers are dipping well below zero, creating potential life-threatening conditions for anyone exposed to the weather.
The National Weather Service has issued a wind chill warning for Leavenworth County that began at 6 p.m. Sunday and continues through noon Monday.
Monday, the predicted high is 4 degrees, with wind chill values between minus 21 and minus 31. Monday night may reach down to minus 2, with west winds creating wind chill values between minus 10 and minus 15.
The National Weather Service warns that prolonged exposure to these subzero temperatures may cause hypothermia. Frostbite may occur to exposed skin within a matter of minutes.
Sunday afternoon, USD 458 announced the cancellation of Monday classes on its website, www.usd458.org. Classes were expected to resume as usual Tuesday morning after the storm passed.
More like this story
- Winter storm warning gives way to blizzard warning
- Basehor schools to close Monday due to winter weather
- Up to 10 inches of snow possible in Basehor, winter storm warning though Monday
- Winter storm watch in effect early Monday morning through 6 a.m. Wednesday for area counties
- USD 458 closed on Monday due to weather