Car fire sparks Sunday brush fire, closes State Avenue
Basehor A car fire Sunday at about 12:53 p.m. forced a brief closure of the westbound lanes of State Avenue while emergency crews responded to put out the flames.
According to Fairmount Township Fire Chief Charles Magaha, the fire started under the dashboard of a Dodge 2500 four-door pickup carrying four people. The truck pulled over just east of 166th St. and the passengers exited the vehicle as it was being engulfed in flames. Magaha said the cause of the fire wasn’t determined. There were no injuries.
The truck’s gas tank ruptured during the fire, sparking the brush fire, Magaha said. Fairmount Township doused the flames using about 2,000 gallons of water.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas House panel considers higher scrap theft penalties
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Basehor-Linwood schools announce kindergarten roundups