Remember When for Aug. 6, 2015
Events reported this week in The Chieftain, 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
10 Years Ago: Aug. 11, 2005
The Bonner Springs City Council approved a slight decrease in the city tax mill levy.
The USD 204 (Bonner Springs-Edwardsville) Board of Education voted to add a girls’ soccer program in the springs of 2007.
Don Haussler, a former Basehor teacher, opened a learning center located near Basehor.
The issue of Sunday liquor sales was being discussed by the Basehor City Council.
25 Years Ago: Aug. 9, 1990
Basehor city residents defeated a proposed sales tax increase by a vote of 251 “no” to 123 “yes”. The funds would have been used for increased police protection.
Jim Geary was appointed to a vacant term on the USD 204 (Bonner Springs-Edwardsville) Board of Education replacing JR Nolting.
Deena French, chairperson of the Bonner Springs Parks and Recreation Commission, and Mayor Ted Stolfus cut a ribbon opening the new concession stand constructed at Lions Park.
John Waggoner was president of Downtown Bonner Springs, Inc., and Helen Oelschaeger was treasurer.
50 Years Ago: Aug. 6, 1965
The Bonner Springs City Council approved a $70,000 revenue bond to construct a new water treatment plant.
Joseph Stroh was the new manager of the Nat Nast, Inc., plant in Bonner Springs.
A formal opening was held for the Fun Valley Club in Bonner Springs. The private club featured a swimming pool.
The Basehor Camp Fire Girls enjoyed a train ride from Kansas City to Leavenworth.
100 Years Ago: Aug. 5, 1915
The Bonner Springs City Council approved a major property tax increase. They approved a tax levy of 80 cents per $100 valuation, an increase from the 1914 rate of 55 cents.
The newly formed Edwardsville City Council held its first meeting.
Frank Warner sold a Ford automobile to A. G. Stockmeyer.
Dorton the “Fixit Man” advertised gasoline for 10 cents per gallon and guaranteed it to “contain no water.”