BasehorInfo.com

Basehor business fire determined to be accidental

December 4, 2015

A Tuesday evening fire that destroyed a Basehor business has been determined accidental.

The fire was called in at 7:25 p.m. at Stierly’s Floor Covering and Refinishing, 145th Street and Parallel Road.

Chuck Magaha, chief of the Fairmount Township Fire Department, said there were several explosions associated with the fire due to the products in the business’s warehouse, though no injuries were reported.

“It was a pretty intense fire,” he said.

About 30 firefighters responded from Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 and the Fairmount, Sherman and Stranger township fire departments. The fire was under control about 9 p.m., Magaha said.

A fire investigator on the scene Wednesday determined that the fire was accidental, though they are still studying evidence to determine the exact cause of the fire, Magaha said.

The business included a two-story metal building that contained large drums of glue and solvent and compressed gas, as well as an attached office area. Magaha said several vehicles also were parked in the building.

Magaha said the owner reported smelling something like burnt toast before leaving the business about 6:30 p.m., but he could not find a cause for the smell.

Originally published at: http://www.basehorinfo.com/news/2015/dec/04/basehor-business-fire-determined-be-accidental/